Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Henry Poole Is Here




Henry Poole Is Here is a 2008 American drama film directed by Mark Pellington. The screenplay by Albert Torres focuses on a dying man whose religious neighbor insists the water stain on the side wall of his house is an image of Jesus Christ.
The film premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and was shown at the Berlin International Film Festival before going into limited release in the US on August 15.
In chapter 3, The Face of Christ, Henry is introduced to his new meddling neighbor Esperanza who claims to see the face of Jesus imbedded in the stucco wall of his home.  She wastes no time in calling her priest and calling Henry to recognize this all-too-obvious God-sign.  Henry claims that he won't ignore the 'sign' but his neighbor instead, but is too self-involved to pay much attention to either.

Psalm 119:25-32 (The Message)


25-32 I'm feeling terrible—I couldn't feel worse!
      Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?
   When I told my story, you responded;
      train me well in your deep wisdom.
   Help me understand these things inside and out
      so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.
   My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn;
      build me up again by your Word.
   Barricade the road that goes Nowhere;
      grace me with your clear revelation.
   I choose the true road to Somewhere,
      I post your road signs at every curve and corner.
   I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me;
      God, don't let me down!
   I'll run the course you lay out for me
      if you'll just show me how.
In chapter 9, You can never go home again, Esperanza takes Henry to his childhood home in the hopes that he'll make some sort of peace with his past.  Instead, Henry finds that it truly means nothing to him now and that he's really left with nowhere left to hide.  The scene completes with images sky-ward, but without Henry's hope in much anything larger than himself we're left with Dylan's resonating words...'it's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

Psalm 40:11-12 (The Message)


 11-12 Now God, don't hold out on me,
      don't hold back your passion.
   Your love and truth
      are all that keeps me together.
   When troubles ganged up on me,
      a mob of sins past counting,
   I was so swamped by guilt
      I couldn't see my way clear.
   More guilt in my heart than hair on my head,
      so heavy the guilt that my heart gave out.
In chapter 19, Miraculous Gifts, Henry comes full circle in making peace with his past in realizing the ever important present and that he is blessed with a potential rich future.  We also see God's providence in very tangible ways and hopefully ways that we can relate to.  His gifts are ever present, it is our ability to witness them that isn't.

Jeremiah 29:11 (The Message)


I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment