Monday, December 6, 2010

The Day God Killed Ron Santo



I spent the day helping @ the Santa Shop and having lunch w/the kids.  Nothing special.  Just a regular old friday.  We were going to be having our last DO class that night and I was going to have to brush up on my notes and prep work later, but now was for spending w/my babies.

I'm not even sure why she caught my eye, but she did.  A little girl in her brother's pee wee football jersey traversing the lunch room to dump her tray.  I read the name on the jersey back and retain it for some reason. It was Santo.

As the day matures, I'm found in front of this silver rectangle making my final notes for tonight when I see it.  Chicago Cubs icon Ron Santo dead at 70.  Odd coincidence I think to myself as I pause to take the moment in.

Couple this happening w/the basis for our yet to be discussed material for friday night and you start to realize why the moment hasn't left me and compels me to write this.  Our movie was not an exceptionally good one nor altogether bad either, but it explicitly illustrated our connectivity to a very near God tho He seem distant, through seemingly random events that neither appear to have purpose or connection w/much anything.  Thoughts are provoked of His glorious providence revealed through very common and mundane scenarios.  The example for us was a bad stucco job in the film...for me it was the death of Ron Santo.

Let us not lose sight of God's perfect justice as we long for His grace especially in regard to us, our families and friends.  Not one of us deserved the last breath that we just experienced or the next one coming, but by his common grace He grants it.  We all have stood and some continue to stand in cosmic rebellion of the Almighty and deserve nothing from Him save His judgement and our destruction.

Ron had 70 years.  Some have had more and some have had much less, but all deserve none.  Not one.

So the question I ask is did God kill Ron to help illustrate the inner workings of His will for me and my class or for some other reason?  After all, He is all-powerful as well as all-knowing, so He killed Him directly or allowed it to happen indirectly, but either way He is culpable in this act.  So which is it?

The only answer I can arrive at is yes.

God's perfect will continues to happen in a very imperfect world for a million and one reasons all @ the same time.  It not only allows for our decisions to matter, but for them to have been predestined as well.  We catch glimpses of these happenings all the time, but shoo them away labeled as coincidence or circumstance.

It's as if we cry out for God in the forest only to miss Him because of the trees.  Our lack of reverential discernment for our loving Father leaves us wallowing all the while He is ever present.  His creation screams His graciousness, while we cover our ears.

This should bring us comfort as His children.  We matter to God.  If we could only remain cognizant of that and live it.  Not because we have to, but because we get to.

For His glory...

our joy...

and others good.

No comments:

Post a Comment