Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rango

In scene 1 we're introduced to our protagonist Rango and his search for identity through definition when happened upon by conflict.  Unlike Rango who sees himself as a hero, we are more readily defined by who we are and whose we are.  Within these parameters the believer should be confidently set free in His creation to accomplish a variety of things with the motivation to bring Him glory (1), for our joy (2) and for the good of other people (3).


John 15:9-15


9-10"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.
 11-15"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.

In scene 8 we find Rango meeting with Mayor Marion "Tortoise John" Lynch, the mayor of Dirt.  During their discussion Mayor Lynch appropriately states that people have to believe in something and claims that the people of Dirt now believe in Rango and makes him sheriff.  Much like the people of Dirt we readily place our faith in a person, but very unlike them our person of hope is life's true protagonist and hero Jesus Christ the very Son of God.  

Titus 3:2-4


3-8It wasn't so long ago that we ourselves were stupid and stubborn, dupes of sin, ordered every which way by our glands, going around with a chip on our shoulder, hated and hating back. But when God, our kind and loving Savior God, stepped in, he saved us from all that. It was all his doing; we had nothing to do with it. He gave us a good bath, and we came out of it new people, washed inside and out by the Holy Spirit. Our Savior Jesus poured out new life so generously. God's gift has restored our relationship with him and given us back our lives. And there's more life to come—an eternity of life! You can count on this.

In scene 16 Rango meets with the Spirit of the West after being run out of town by Rattlesnake Jake.  He's clearly lost his way and no longer 'knows who he is' after Jake outs him as a fraud.  Rango finds the strength to go back and be who he needs to be for his friends and is told that he cannot walk out on his own story.  While we likewise have obligations to the story that He has placed us in, it isn't solely to those around us but to primarily bring Him glory.

Acts 17:25-27


25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment