Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Blind Side

The Blind Side is a 2009 American semi-biographical drama film. It is written and directed by John Lee Hancock, and based on the 2006 book The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis.[2][3] The storyline features Michael Oher, an offensive lineman who plays for the Baltimore Ravens of the NFL.

In chapter 2, Christian Thing, Coach Cotton pleads his case for Big Mike's admission in to Wingate Christian school under the guise of the right thing to do.  This theme seems recurrent throughout the film as characters act under these pretenses without much examination of possible ulterior motives.  We also are very capable of 'acting' without either self-examination or time in prayer.


Deuteronomy 13:18



18 Yes. Obediently listen to God, your God. Keep all his commands that I am giving you today. Do the right thing in the eyes of God, your God.


In chapter 11, Comfort Levels, Leigh Anne is bombarded with questions and snide remarks in regards to her families acceptance and sheltering of Big Mike.  Her 'friends' question her motives, judgement and even reference past familial sin.  Any ministry worth doing comes at a price and will cause others to pose like questions.  



1 Timothy 4:6-14




6-10You've been raised on the Message of the faith and have followed sound teaching. Now pass on this counsel to the followers of Jesus there, and you'll be a good servant of Jesus. Stay clear of silly stories that get dressed up as religion. Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart. This is why we've thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We're banking on the living God, Savior of all men and women, especially believers.
 11-14Get the word out. Teach all these things. And don't let anyone put you down because you're young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity. Stay at your post reading Scripture, giving counsel, teaching. And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid hands on you and prayed—keep that dusted off and in use.

In chapter 25, Protect Mode, Leigh Anne finally seems to turn introspective and begins to question her motives in regards to Big Mike.  Sean seems willing to help her find the answers that she's looking for, but instead of driving the point and purpose home, settles for a joke instead.  Unfortunately life mimics art sometimes as God honoring, honest dialogue can be as evasive in our real lives as those portrayed in film as well.

John 15:9-15


9-10"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.
 11-15"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment